Renter Protection Plan
Secure Storage does not personally insure the items inside your self storage unit, however, we do offer the Secure Protection Plan. With our Secure Protection Plan Secure Storage does assume limited liability for the goods stored inside your storage unit, with better coverage, terms, and conditions than traditional renters insurance or homeowners insurance. For just a few cents every day, you are covered up to $2,500 from:
Fire • Explosion • Smoke Damage • Theft • Vandalism • Malicious Mischief • Water Damage from a Roof Leak • Windstorm • Building Damage • Impacts from Aircraft or Vehicles
It is a requirement of Secure Storage’s rental agreement that all customers carry insurance or protection during their rental. We will gladly access your homeowners or renters insurance as coverage.
Terms & Conditions of the Secure Protection Plan
1. This storage facility provided you with a basic level of service pursuant to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement that you signed. Among other things the rental agreement states:
Your property is stored at your sole risk of loss or damage. The self storage operator is not liable for loss of or damage to your stored property. You must insure your property while it is on the premises.
2. Secure Protection Plan – Limited Assumption of Liability by Owner
In consideration of this payment, the Owner assumes liability for loss of or damage to Occupant's property stored within the storage units identified in the rental agreement you signed, up to purchased limit for losses caused by the following:
- Fire, explosion or smoke.
- Theft, (forced entry to the unit must be visible) vandalism or malicious mischief.
- Roof leak or water damage; except water damaged caused by flood, surface water, underground water or water that backs up through or overflows from a sewer, drain or sump is not covered.
- Windstorm that first causes damage to the building.
- Collapse of the building where your property is stored.
- Impact of aircraft, missile or vehicles.
This limited assumption of liability is a modification to the waiver of liability in paragraph 4 of the rental agreement that it form a part. It satisfies the insurance requirement stated in paragraph 4. The Owner has no liability for loss of or damage to Occupant's stored property beyond that described in this addendum.
Liability Not Assumed by Owner
The Owner will not pay for damage to Occupant's stored property caused by the following:
- Flood, surface water, underground water or water that backs up through or overflows from a sewer, drain or sump.
- Moths, insects, rodents or vermin.
- Mold, mildew or wet or dry rot.
- War or military action.
- Earthquake or volcanic eruption.
- Nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive, biological or chemical contamination.
4. Property that Owner Will Not Repair or Replace and Occupant Should Not Store:
- Motor vehicles, boats or other property if stored outdoors.
- Money, travelers checks, money orders, stamps, accounts, deeds, bills, or securities;
- Jewelry, watches, precious or semi-precious stones, furs, or clothing trimmed in fur.
- Stolen goods or contraband.
5. Failure To Pay Rent
If rent is not received within ten (10) days of the due date, Occupant's participation in the Secure Protection Plan shall terminate and Owner shall not be liable for loss of or damage to Occupant's stored property from any cause whatsoever. At Owner's sole discretion, Occupant's participation in the Secure Storage Protection Plan may be reinstated upon payment of all rent and other charges due and owing.
The Amount Owner Will Pay if There is a Loss
Owner will pay the lesser of the actual amount you pay to repair the lost or damaged item(s) or to replace them with property of similar quality. In no event will Owner pay more than $2,500.
7. The Rental Agreement
All terms and conditions of the rental agreement not specifically modified by this addendum are in effect and binding on the both Owner and Occupant.
NOTICE: This is not an insurance policy and the Owner is not an insurance company. The Owner shall perform the obligations described in this addendum.